Monday, February 22, 2010

Olympics Gone Wild


The Winter Olympics come every four years it is the chance for the winter athletes to show there skills to world to compete to see who is the best. So far this has been an exciting event for Team USA as they are in the lead for the most medals earned by a country at this point in the games. The games have a little bit of everything for the average fan that isn’t a normal fan of winter games. I am one of these fans before this year Olympic Games I never looked forward to the event because I’m normally just a fan of the Xgames type events. But this year I have followed the games and become a fan of sports I never thought I would follow. I have watched the drama unfold as both the men and women curling team has struggled, in years past this was an event that I would make fun of but now I love it. I have also followed the hockey, being from Kentucky hockey isn’t the most popular sport so I don’t understand a lot of the rules. But I am learning and have enjoyed watching Team USA defeat Canada last night as the Americans won a game that they was supposed to lose to get a bye to move them on in the tournament. As always I watched the snowboarding half pipe competition for the men and watched American’s Shaun White and Scotty Lago medal for the USA.

Snowboarding bronze medalist Lago has brought a lot of unwanted drama to the games as he was had a photo took of him celebrating his win. Celebrating isn’t a bad thing but the act that was going down put his values of a representative from the United States at risk. The paparazzi got a photo of a young lady kissing his bronze medal in an inappropriate place and with his medal her mouth. These actions lead to Lago leaving Vancouver before the closing ceremony and on his own will or so we thought. According to Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports, the United States Skiing and Snowboarding Association (USSA) gave him the option of leaving on his own or risking going before an Olympic trial process and risking being ejected from the games. Lago plans to participate in future games so he chose to leave on his own will so he didn’t risk being banned from the games.

Now I am not saying this was not a disrespectful act toward your country and the games itself, but Lago didn’t do anything Illegal. His event was over and would not have been in front of the cameras any more in the event so I feel He should not have been asked or forced to leave the games. He is a young athlete in an extreme sport which brings a different lifestyle to the games that it has not in the past. Lago was acting as any 23 years old would who just won a major sporting event, he apologized for his actions and while the action was distasteful he shouldn’t have been treated the way he was and should have been allowed to stay and enjoy the games which his friends and teammates

No comments:

Post a Comment