Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Jersey says it all C U KY


Well now that the season is over it is that time that all Wildcat fans hate to hear about, the NBA draft. This season the cats have had a very talented team full of freshmen talent and most of those freshmen feel they are talented enough to enter the draft after one year. The university’s athletics website put out yesterday that five wildcats put their name in to the draft those players include four freshmen John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, Eric Bledsoe and Daniel Orton as well as Junior Patrick Patterson, who will graduate in 3 years so good for him. So this team of one and done players are said to go in the first round.

Can I say I’m surprised about this? Well, I’m not surprised that Wall, Cousins and Patterson are leaving but I am surprised that Bledsoe and Orton are leaving early. Bledsoe is a very streaky player at least he was at Kentucky and only averaged 11.3 points a game on the year which are not NBA numbers in my book. He showed to be a true freshman when the game was on the line and I feel if he had one more year under Coach Cal that he could be a great point guard and may be useful in the pros as of right now I feel he is not ready.

Now for Orton I feel going to the draft is going to be something that he will regret, he is looking at the dollar signs and not the fact that he will be a bench player as he was at Kentucky. Orton is a very immature player who might have averaged at least one goal tending charge in every game, he just doesn’t use his best judgment when trying to block shots and I just feel he isn’t ready. Orton is a freshman who was a sixth man for the cats who did not play his senior year of high school basketball due to injury and it showed on the court. He only averaged 3 points a game on the year, mainly because he followed Cousins and only got playing time when Cousins was in foul trouble or running his mouth. I feel he needed at least two more years under a good coaching staff to prepare to be ready for the tough play in the NBA, he is a poor defensive player but hey who plays defense in the pros, he may fit in.

Now my thoughts on players I knew would be gone. Wall would have been a number one out of high school if the one year out of high school rule had not been put in to place. Wall’s speed is better than any Kentucky player I have saw in my lifetime, his knowledge of the game is so much high then his age. He is just an outstanding point guard that will fit the player of the NBA better than most because of his ability to run the ball up the floor and score. I feel Wall will go over all number one and will fit in great.

Cousins is just a man beast that is the best way I can put it. He can score under the double team which he will not see when is in the pros because well there is no defense played there. Sorry I’m a hater of the defense in the NBA but that is for another day. If John Wall was not on the team I feel that DeMarcus Cousins could have been the freshmen of the year in NCAA. He is just a great player but he does need to grow up some and learn to keep his mouth shut when he gets poor calls against him and be a little bit more careful when he is playing and getting easy fouls but he will be a great player in the league.

I saved Patterson for last because I feel he is most ready for the big leagues. He stayed an extra year when he found out Coach Cal was going to be the coach this season. He improved his three point game by a 100 times because well he had no three point game under Billy Gillispie. Everyone knew he could play in the paint but he proved that he is a more overall player this past year. They was trying to make him or appealing to the scouts more of a Blake Griffin style player (lets hope he has better luck).

So with this being said I am proud of the Year that they gave to Kentucky and wish them the best of Luck in the future. Getting ready for the next batch of one and done players in the bluegrass.

No comments:

Post a Comment