Thursday, June 16, 2011

Beckett Throws a Gem and The Bruins Win the Cup


Ok guys so I know it’s been awhile but I’m back now. It’s been an exciting time for Boston sports fans as you should know by now. Last night the Boston Bruins took home the Stanley Cup for the first time in 39 years. That was the majority of New Englander’s and Boston fans around the country’s attention was including mine.

It was very special for me to see the last of my favorite teams to bring home the championships. I have got to see my University of Kentucky Wildcats basketball team bring home the championship twice in my life, I have saw my Pittsburgh Steelers bring home the championship twice, got see my favorite sports team of all time the Boston Red Sox bring home the championship twice, The Boston Celtics bring it home once and now my Bruins. It is an exciting day to be a sports fan for me.

But while everyone was watching the Bruins bring home the Cup to Boston, something special was happening in Tampa Bay. Josh Beckett tossed a one hitter and faced one batter over the minimum of a perfect game in a full game shut-out. Just to think at the beginning of this season Beckett was considered the fourth starter of this rotation and now he has worked his way back into becoming the “Ace” that he was in 2007.

Beckett came short of the perfect game by a hit that almost rolled foul; he pitched what I consider his best performance of the year. He struck out six of the Rays in this gem and not walking a batter. This amazing performance on the mound has lowered his ERA to a 1.86, which is the lowest in the major-league.

All the offense from this gem came off the bat of a certain third baseman by the name of Kevin Youkilis as he knocked a three-run homer in the seventh inning. This was Youkilis’ 10th homer of the year.

After last night’s win the Red Sox remain in first place in the American League East now one game ahead of the New York Yankees.

Last but not least the Red Sox have moved their game on Saturday from 1:05 to 7:05 against the Brewers due the Bruins rolling rally parade with the Cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment