Thursday, June 30, 2011

"Lack" of Bats in Philly



After last nights shut out the Red Sox inserted David Ortiz into the line up and shifted Adrian Gonzalez to right field to produce some offence. Did it work? Well lets just put it this way the only RBI of the game came from the pitcher of the Red Sox John Lackey as the Red Sox fall 2-1 to the Phillies.

So John Lackey pitched a pretty good game holding the Phillies to two runs one of which was a home run to Raul Ibanez who was a double short of hitting the cycle. Lackey when 7.2 innings giving up eight hits and two earned runs like I mentioned. He did strike out five pitchers which is very unlike him and only walked one batter. Lackey now has a record of 5-7 with an ERA of 6.81. When ask about the homer to Ibanez Lackey said.

"He's seen me about 800 times in the AL West," Lackey said. "I don't have many tricks that he hasn't seen."

Though as good as good of a start they got out of Lackey the bats was not there as the Red Sox only run come off a RBI double from John Lackey to score Josh Reddick in the fifth inning. Ortiz who was inserted into the line up to give the Sox more offense went 0-4. The Red Sox left 12 men of base and they are back to playing like the team we saw in April. The Red Sox look as if they left their bats in Boston. This is what Ortiz had to say

"Sometimes we get caught on all those days off," Ortiz said. " For me personally, I don't like that many days off. When I'm swinging the bat good and I'm in a good rhythm, I want to continue playing. You get caught up in that. I'm not making that as an excuse, but it has something to do with it when you're swinging the bat good, and all of a sudden, you're not playing. I'm talking about in general, not just about myself. There were two days off in this road trip."

The Red Sox have lost in four of the five games on this nine game National League road trip. With these loses the Sox have fail 2 1/2 games behind the Yankees in the AL East.

No comments:

Post a Comment