Friday, March 2, 2012

Jason Varitek Humbly Retires

Photo by: Jim Davis/Boston.com
Not a lot of players are blessed to play 15 years in the major league. It's even more rare that a player spends 15 years with the same organization, Jason Varitek has. Tonight at JetBlue Ballpark at is his office, home plate, Varitek calls it quits.

"After months of deliberating what to do, I've decided that it's best for me and my family that I retire, that I retire a Red Sock," Varitek said. "My decision to retire wasn't one that I took lightly in any sense of the word, nor did I want to do it more than once. This has probably been the most difficult decision I have made in my career. But the opportunity to start and finish my major league career in one place is why I'm standing here today."

Varitek became a member of the Red Sox organization in 1997; when he came to over in a trade from the Seattle Mariners. Varitek was part of a two player trade which brought him as well as Derek Lowe for reliever Heathcliff Slocumb. [Some say one of the most one sided trades in baseball history]

It was an emotional day for the Captain  but he was extremely thankful for everyone who helped him along the way. He thanked everyone from his little league coaches, to his major league managers. He was extremely thankful when it come to thanking his teammates.

"It's what I'm going to miss most," Varitek said, with a long pause. "The hardest thing to do is walk away from your teammates, and what they meant to you. Thank You."

Varitek had an amazing career with pretty impressive numbers for a catcher. Varitek hit a career .256 with 193 home runs and 757 RBI. He is a three time All-Star also won both the silver slugger award and Gold Glove in the 2005 season. He ranks ninth all time games played in a Red Sox uniform and first as a catcher with 1,546.  He is the only player in Major League history to catch four no-hitters in a career. He caught no-hitters for Hideo Nomo (2001), Derek Lowe (2002), Clay Buchholz (2007), and Jon Lester (2008). On top of all these honors Varitek become the Captain of the Red Sox in 2005 after leading the team to the first World Series in 87 years and he did it again in 2007. He is also the only player to play in the Little League World Series, College World Series, MLB World Series, Olympics and World Baseball Classic.

When looks for the words to say to describe how much Varitek will be missed by Red Sox Nation, I came across this comment by Jared Carrabis( Gov. of Red Sox Nation, MA and SoxSpace) so thought I would share.

"With his closting statements, Jason Varitek walks away from the podium at his retirement press conference, taking with him a piece of my childhood. You embodied everything that it meant to play for the Boston Red Sox, and we were privileged to have been able to watch your entire career right here in our backyard. Thanks for everything, Captain. You will be missed." Carrabis said.

And what better way to close then to finish with the closing statement from the Captain himself.

"As I walk away from this game," Varitek said in his closing statement. "I can look at the man in the mirror and be proud that I gave everything I had to this organization. And once again, I just want to say thank you."

If you missed the retirement announcement here it is in it's entirety:

No comments:

Post a Comment